If you’ve been following me for any amount of time, you know that my oldest daughter, Lauren, has Down syndrome. In honor of her, and Down Syndrome Awareness Month, which begins October 1, I am offering a free Down Syndrome Family Session to any and all local (Brainerd/Baxter, Minnesota) families who have a loved one with Down syndrome.
The session will be about 30 minutes long and will at least 10 edited digital images of your family. If you are interested, you can go here to book a session. (Choose the “October Down Syndrome Special”.)
I’m looking forward to meeting you!
(I am also going to be blogging about Down syndrome next month, over at Inspired By Down Syndrome.)
Each year, I try to take on the challenge. I have to write 31 posts in 31 days, starting October 1. Most years I give up a few days in-it’s no fun writing when no one reads it.
This year, I was not going to do it. Who cares? No one reads my blog anyway. (If you are actually reading my blog, say hi!) An Instagram friend suggested I do something photography related, since she’s been eager to pick up her big camera again.
So instead of sleeping, I am up creating an outline of posts, coming up with prompts, and trying to figure out where this will go.
I will be posting more about this on October 1, with a list of prompts for the week ahead. Please feel free to sign up to get my posts in your inbox, or follow me on social media.
I was asked by my sister’s friend to photograph their wedding. They got married a few weeks ago, under a tent in a family member’s yard. The ceremony was short and sweet – just how they wanted it. Their two-year old daughter was right up there in all the action, and it was the cutest thing ever – she clung to her daddy the whole time.
We got a few shots at the property (the one below is the couple with their Pastor and his wife.)
And the wedding party.
We did family shots at the local Arboretum. It was an overcast day, with a forecast of rain and storms, but thankfully that never happened.
The photo below is the bride, her parents and most of the grandchildren.
This one of the bride and groom is one of my favorites of the day, and totally unplanned.
Congratulations, Jessica and Wade! I look forward to meeting Baby D next month!
Today’s prompt is ‘share your playlist’.
I hope I do this right.
This playlist has only Christian songs on it. It’s all I listen to in the car and at home. Music these days is….inappropriate…for kids. Even ‘country’ music.
Reading… Play with Fire by Bianca Juarez Olthoff, and a whole bunch of other things.
Playing… Pokemon Go every now and then. It’s actually kind of boring.
Watching… Nothing at the moment. All the good shows are being cancelled (I’m looking at YOU, NBC.)
Trying… to edit the photos from the wedding I shot last weekend. Still.
Cooking… hopefully something edible at some point today.
Drinking… iced white mocha.
Texting… no one. I don’t have anyone to text. But I have unlimited texting, so if you ever want to chat, let me know!
Pinning… preschool homeschool stuff.
Tweeting… not much. Twitter is super boring these days. I only log in to see news.
Going… nowhere. Yay.
Loving… all the new Illustrated Faith products.
Thinking… about how I can justify yet another planner purchase (Inkwell Press – Sept 14!!)
Feeling… blah. As usual.
Hoping (to)… get photos edited and blogged.
Listening (to)… Frozen, from Hannah’s iPad.
Smelling… apple candle and room freshener.
Wishing… I had more Thieves and Purification for my diffuser. School starts Tuesday and those are the only reasons we didn’t get sick last year.
(I’ll share more about what these all mean at another time.)
- OHH posts/images/projects, get books from library
- IBDS – write posts, wm photos, get guest posts
- Start writing posts for Oct.
- Go to the library once a week
- Read with kids 30min each night
- Establish a good morning/evening routine for kids
- Start meal planning again
- Buy a crockpot
- Keep up with laundry
- Get back to the zoo one more time
- Go to the Apple Festival at the end of the month
- Finish editing photos from the wedding I shot last weekend (more on that later)
- Work on all of my assignments from the classes I’m taking
- Figure out an organization plan for all of my planners and supplies (it’s getting a little out of hand!)
That’s a lot. Whoa. School starts next week so we will have morning drop-off (not looking forward to that) and worrying about if/when to schedule an IEP meeting for Lauren. But this weekend? I’m taking photos of my kids picking apples from my parents’ tree with my brother, who is just MONTHS away from completing chemo. We are going to make apple crisp, grill good food, have a huge fire, make s’mores, get a million mosquito bites (and probably a few tick bites) and just enjoy the last weekend before the craziness (and germs) sets in.
What’s on your list for the weekend?
I’m participating the the Blogtember Challenge from Bailey Jean! Each day, there will be a prompt to write about on your blog. The first prompt is to introduce yourself. I totally copied Bailey’s 100-question list and filled in my own answers (thanks for the inspiration, Bailey!)
For a complete list of The Blog-tember Challenge prompts, go HERE!
(That is an old photo, from when I got my driver’s license last year.)
- Coffee or tea? Coffee. Iced.
- Black and white or color? Black and white.
- Drawings or paintings? Paintings.
- Dresses or skirts? Neither?
- Books or movies? Books. Give me all the books.
- Pepsi or Coke? Coke.
- Chinese or Italian? Italian.
- Early bird or night owl? Night owl.
- Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla.
- Introvert or extrovert? Major, major introvert.
- Hugs or kisses? Neither, really. I’m not too mushy.
- Hunting or fishing? Fishing.
- Winter or summer? Summer, only for the colors.
- Spring or fall? Fall.
- Rural or urban? Definitely not urban. My anxiety can’t handle it.
- PC or Mac? PC for now but I’m hoping to get a MAC at some point in the next few years.
- Tan or pale? Pale. Not for lack of trying.
- Cake or pie? Cake.
- Ice cream or yogurt? Ice cream.
- Ketchup or mustard? Ketchup.
- Sweet pickles or dill pickles? Neither. Gross.
- Comedy or mystery? Comedy.
- Boots or sandals? Flip flops.
- Silver or gold? Silver.
- Jazz or classical? Neither.
- Dancing or singing? Neither.
- Checkers or chess? Neither.
- Board games or video games? Pokemon GO?
- Wine or beer? Wine. Moscato.
- Freckles or dimples? I don’t have any.
- Honey mustard or BBQ sauce? Honey BBQ sauce.
- Body weight exercises or lifting weights? None.
- Baseball or basketball? Not a sports person.
- Crossword puzzles or sudoku? Sudoku.
- Facial hair or clean shaven? Facial hair.
- Crushed ice or cubed ice? Crushed.
- Skiing or snowboarding? Sitting by the fire with a good book and glass of wine.
- Smile or game face? Smile.
- Bracelet or necklace? Necklace.
- Fruit or vegetables? Fruit!
- Sausage or bacon? Bacon.
- Scrambled or fried? Fried, not runny.
- Dark chocolate or white chocolate? Dark chocolate.
- Tattoos or piercings? Neither.
- Antique or brand new? Brand new.
- Dress up or dress down? Dress down.
- Cowboys or aliens? Aliens.
- Cats or dogs? Cats.
- Pancakes or waffles? French toast.
- Bond or Bourne? Bourne
- Sci-Fi or fantasy? Fantasy.
- Numbers or letters? Letters. Not a math person.
- Star Wars or Star Trek? The new Star Trek movies.
- Fair or theme park? Harry Potter World (even though I’ve never been there)!
- Money or fame? Money.
- Washing dishes or doing laundry? Dishes, because our laundry units are outside of our building.
- Snakes or sharks? Neither.
- Orange juice or apple juice? Orange.
- Sunrise or sunset? Sunset.
- Slacker or over-achiever? Super-duper slacker.
- Pen or pencil? Pen. Especially InkJoy Gels.
- Peanut butter or jelly? Honey peanut butter and sugar.
- Grammys or Oscars? Neither. I think award shows are just a waste of money.
- Detailed or abstract? Detailed.
- Multiple choice questions or essay questions? Multiple choice.
- Adventurous or cautious? Cautious, and a bit of a chicken.
- Saver or spender? Spender. Definitely.
- Glasses or contacts? Glasses. My eyes are so bad they won’t even attempt contacts for me.
- Laptop or desktop? Laptop.
- Classic or modern? Modern.
- Personal chef or personal fitness trainer? Both.
- Internet or cell phone? Internet on my cell phone.
- Call or text? Text. Don’t bother calling. I won’t answer.
- Curly hair or straight hair? Straight. I tried to get a perm once, but it didn’t hold.
- Shower in the morning or shower in the evening? In the morning.
- Spicy or mild? Mild.
- Marvel or DC? Marvel, I guess. I don’t know.
- Paying a mortgage or paying rent? Paying rent, no hope of ever owning.
- Sky dive or bungee jump? NOPE.
- Oreos or Chips Ahoy? Oreo salad! (recipe coming in Nov or Dec).
- Jello or pudding? Neither. Ew.
- Truth or dare? Truth.
- Roller coaster or Ferris wheel? Ferris wheel.
- Leather or denim? Denim.
- Stripes or solids? I’d like to wear stripes someday, but for now, solids.
- Bagels or muffins? Lemon poppyseed muffins.
- Whole wheat or white? White.
- Beads or pearls? Neither, I have small children.
- Hardwood or carpet? Hardwood, but I only have carpet and fake tile right now.
- Bright colors or neutral tones? Neutral for clothes, but bright for pens.
- Be older than you are or younger than you are? I’m 30 but I feel so old. Probably because I never exercise and don’t get to sleep.
- Raisins or nuts? Neither.
- Picnic or nice restaurant? Picnic.
- Black leather or brown leather? Brown leather.
- Long hair or short hair? Long.
- “Ready, aim, fire” or “Ready, fire, aim”? Ready, aim, fire.
- Fiction or non-fiction? Fiction!
- Smoking or non-smoking? Non.
- Think before you talk or talk before you think? Think before I talk. Most of the time.
- Asking questions or answering questions? Answering questions. I never know what to ask people.
I’ve been asked recently if I am taking clients. So I thought I would put together a fall mini-shoot. Twenty minute sessions, with 5 digital images and print release. Date and location to be announced (when the leaves start changing!) It will be in the Brainerd/Baxter area. I look forward to meeting you!
Just click the photo to head to my Facebook page and leave me a message, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org!
I’m just gonna say it, since everyone else has been saying it too – it’s August? How?
Anyway, I busted out my Powersheets again to try to get focused – my mind is such a jumbled up mess these days. Honestly, most of my goals are ‘fluff’ goals. I don’t have a job, I don’t run a business. So most of my day-to-day goals are simply ‘drink water’, ‘go for a walk’ and even ‘do dishes’, just so I have something to write down and cross off. I’m using the Powersheets, two planners from Day Designer for Blue Sky and one planner from Dabney Lee for Blue Sky (I went a little planner-crazy this year…hence the need for a budget.)
- Read Hope Heals and review
- Read first five chapters of Uninvited
- Finish reading Play With Fire and review
- Get to the lake at least one more time
- Start planning Sept cancer posts
- Start planning 31 For 21
- Start organizing homeschool/school supplies
- Work on IBDS and BHC (more to come later on what those are)
- Determine budget and meal plan for September (ugh)
- Walk trail
- Drink water
- AM/PM routines
(Just an FYI-none of these links are affiliate links. I don’t roll that way.)
Yesterday was National Junk Food Day! M&Ms & donuts for breakfast (with milk and yogurt). Venti Starbucks for me. Ice cream after lunch. Fruit snacks and marshmallows after dinner. We had lots of fruits and veggies and water, but yeah, we had junk food. We didn’t have much of it lying around in the cupboards, so we had to go pick it up, but once it was gone, it was gone.
We watched Dixie again yesterday, and ran around the park before it got too hot and humid. She hates her leash, but she needed it in public.
These little purple flowers remind me of my grandma’s house in the summer. She had so many of these growing all around her house. I’ll have to call her and see if they are still growing!